Thursday, April 6, 2017

Excited and Ready for Spring!


Don Olymbrio

(Jazz x Ferro x Sultan x Doruto)

I'm so excited that the KWPN has given erkend status to both Vitalis and Don Olymbrio. We're expecting two Vitalis babies this year and purchased two more doses, and we purchased three doses of Don Olymbrio last year for use this year. As much as I love the flexibility of using the Register A option, I hate the logistics necessary to complete the studbook status of the offspring. 

We're headed toward foaling season at SSF!  ZaVita SSF is first up, but Orchis is threatening to foal early again this year.  She's due about three weeks after ZaVita, but my guess is she will foal first.  Knock on wood she holds out until at least 310 days.  Orchis is at 294 days today.  Keep your fingers crossed. This will be Orchis's last foal. At her age, her body deserves a break. She's been an amazing producer for us. We wouldn't be where we are as a program without her.

2017 Foals

We still have some options open on upcoming foals.  Our plan is to keep at least two fillies, but it will depend which mare produces what.  I've instructed each of them in both our desired color and sex, but who knows if they've listened to me.

Governor x ZaVita SSF (Contanto x Elcaro)                    

 colt option taken, filly option not available


Uno Don Diego x Galearites SSF   (Totilas x Jazz)

 colt option may be available, filly option not available


Roven xx x Orchis (Jazz x Roemer)                              

possible colt option, filly option not available


Vitalis x D'Orites SSF  (Donatelli x Jazz)                         

colt option taken, not sure if filly option is also taken


Netto x Eliscia SSF (UB-40 x Pass the Glass xx)                             

colt option taken, filly option open


Vitalis x Werites SSF (Freestyle x Jazz)                         

 colt option open, Michaela has first choice if it's a filly


Governor x Carpe Diem SSF (Farrington x Pass the Glass xx)

both options open


Totilas x BoWendy (Sir Sinclair x Jazz)

colt option possibly open, filly option not available


Even if an option is taken and you're interested in one of the potential babies, give me a shout. Last year, we had an option on our Governor x UB-40 filly.  The woman came to look at her and thought she was too tall. This filly went on to be the number one foal in North America and a permanent member of the SSF herd.  Our base price is 15K, 12K to repeat customers and current FEI level riders. The prices will be higher on both the Uno x Totilas and the Totilas x Sir Sinclair if they're colts we decide to sell.  Generous payment plans available on all of our babies.


2017 Breeding Plans

It's the first week of April, and I'm just about committed to my breeding picks on all our mares...at least, I'm committed to my frozen semen purchases--it's still possible I'll change my mind about which straws to thaw for which mare.  Here's where I'm at right now:

Governor x Elcaro x Belisar
Governor x Sir Sinclair x Jazz
Don Olymbrio x UB-40 x Pass the Glass xx
Don Olymbrio x Farrington x Pass the Glass xx
Vitalis x Donatelli x Jazz
Vitalis x Freestyle x Jazz (Michaela could switch this one)
Experiment x Bon Bravour x Santano
Experiment x Totilas x Jazz
Desperado x Charmeur x Santano

Sorry, Carol gets mad at me when I give away absolutely everything I'm thinking.  Both the experiment breedings are intended for us to keep, colt or filly.

Back up semen in the tank:  Roven xx, Donatelli, and Democraat. And, as always, I will rely on the kindness and solid genetics of Iron Spring Farm stallions if my frozen exploits aren't working out.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign all posts. No aliases nor anonymous comments.