Saturday, February 21, 2015

Question from a Reader: Thinking in Generations

One of the most gratifying aspects of writing this journal over the years is the number of people I've met and friendships I've made through conversations that have been generated by what I've written. I am always willing to talk horses and to share my experiences and base of knowledge. The better educated all of us are in North America, the stronger our breeding programs will become and the more respect we'll garner from the international horse-breeding and horse-buying communities. If I can be a part of generating conversations and sharing knowledge, I want to be.  So, always feel free to send me a question or give me a shout to have a conversation. 

The following is part of an email I received recently--I'm using it with permission:

"I was reading your short text on your blog (in regards to the Stallion Show)... thanks for that. I would have a question for you if you don't mind pushing your thoughts a bit more for me... The "thinking in generations".

I remember us having a conversation about the KWPN and the generations thing in 2010. I am still trying to wrap my head around the concept and apply it to my program and general breeding thinking. In general I think I'm much more performance oriented and that you are probably perfectly in the middle. I agreed with your vision and you thought the KWPN was doing it also in 2010.  But do you think they are doing it now? In 2010 they pushed the power and temperament from Van Norel's blood but you don't see that very much now from what I can find. 

It is especially important for me as I am trying to build something for the future around *********. I want to produce 2 or 3 mares out of her that will be the mothers of all or most of my future foals. And I question myself. Will the best choice to produce a very good broodmare is the same as the one to produce a nice marketable foal?...

Anyway it's probably a big question... but as always your thoughts would be welcome."


This are a big questions, but important ones.  Let me break them down into pieces and try to answer fully.

Thinking in Generations:

There are a couple of ways to generalize this concept so that it's a little easier to grasp.  First consideration, think about an extended pedigree--say, one you might see on horsetelex.com.  We all look at a pedigree and ooh and aah over the names we see if we like them, and tilt our heads and make some negative utterance if there's a name or two we don't.  Sometimes, we'll even completely dismiss a horse just because the pedigree isn't "good enough".  Making breeding decisions is just creating the future extended pedigree. Which directly ties to our second consideration, if I'm creating a line of mares in my breeding program that I hope my grandchildren will be using to breed their dressage horses, what base do I want to give them?  Of course, then you have to start assessing a number of things.  First and foremost, is my mareline good enough?  All of the planning and money and time we invest in breeding horses is absolutely pointless if we're not working with the best mareline we can afford/find.  This mareline doesn't have to be the highest ranked in a particular studbook, or, even, famous for producing top horses at breed shows--it has to produce the qualities that you find most important in a horse. For our program, I want a balanced, athletic horse, with a strong ability to sit, that's a little hot, but with a good brain and physical appeal.  Secondly, breeding in generations requires that you understand which stallions blend best with your mareline and which stallions belong in the bottom of the line vs. the top.  For instance, from my perspective, Jazz works on top or on the bottom; Ferro and Ulft are better on the bottom; Krack C or Sandro Hit have to be WAY back in a pedigree; and, I want a good dose of Thoroughbred or Trakehner blood up close.  By making sure you have the right stallions in the right places in the pedigrees of the horses you produce, you increase your odds of producing a horse that will contribute to the next generation of your program.  Also, while on this area of the topic, it's important to consider the motherline of the stallions you're using.  I always want to make sure that the damlines of the stallions we use have produced really well--I think this makes a huge difference in the fillies you decide to keep for your program. Thirdly, you have to be really aware of what's going on in the general KWPN breeding and sport population, and how your program can both contribute and take advantage of the trends.  Right now, the KWPN is so heavy on Jazz blood in its breeding program that it's really important for breeders to be cultivating non-Jazz lines that cross well with Jazz lines.  The good news about this is that if your program is also Jazz heavy, the KWPN is doing a lot of work for you trying to find outcrosses--and, there are so many people trying different outcrosses, it doesn't take too much research to see what's working and what's not working.  

Current Direction of the KWPN:

One of the primary reasons I stay with KWPN horses is that they are constantly evaluating their population of horses and adjusting their selection criteria to produce better horses.  A few years ago, we needed more substance and more power in our dressage breeding.  The Van Norel horses were a great answer to that, and it was a good move on the part of the KWPN to approve more of them.  As it happened, these horses didn't have as positive of an effect on the population as was predicted.  Part of it could be that the wrong mares were taken to these stallions; part of it could be that the Van Norel's didn't put the money into the best trainers, so their stallions didn't achieve the successes in the young horse classes and stallion competitions necessary to attract breeders.  Also, at the same time the KWPN was approving more of the Van Norel horses, Totilas and Valegro hit the big time, so we saw the influx of the Negro x Lord Leatherdale niche and the expanding influence of Gribaldi.  And, of course, there is the Donnerhall effect.  Interestingly enough, the Van Norel horse that keeps showing up successfully in pedigrees is not one of their younger stallions, but one of their much older stallions, Olympic Vincent, the sire of Cabochon.  As I just mentioned above, at this point in time, the KWPN has to be seeking out non-Jazz stallions.  Fortunately, he crosses well with a huge number of other lines. Personally, I don't think anyone is doing just the right cross for Jazz generationally speaking...but I'm going to work on that! More interesting is how the KWPN is going to react to having a growing number of successful Grand Prix dressage horses from the Harness Horse cross with and on Dressage lines.  I wonder if these will be seen as outliers, or if we're going to see more young stallions selected with Harness blood in their pedigrees.  

Breeding for Your Breeding Program vs. Breeding a Marketable Foal:

The ideal situation here is to educate enough of the buying population about what makes a good sport horse for the long haul, then your question is moot; the best horse for your breeding program would be the most marketable foal. Unfortunately, that's no the way of the world here or in Europe.  Black babies, with flashy movement and a pretty face, sired by a "name of the moment" are the typically the quick and more expensive sellers.  Personally, I can't go there.  Other than the times when one of our mares won't conceive to the stallion of my choice, I always breed for a horse that could potentially add to our program.  In my mind, what could be more important to a buyer than the fact that I would be perfectly happy to keep the horse they want to buy? Because, in actuality, the horses I keep for my breeding program should all have the attributes for which I'm selecting:  balance, athleticism, sit, brain, and physical attractiveness.  They can't produce what's not inherent in the genetics.  So, my advice here is always the same--breed for yourself and build your own market.

I hope that answered most of your question(s).  Again, especially those of you who send me emails or call to ask why I'm not writing in my journal, send me a question or discussion prompt--it's a guarantee of a journal entry!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign all posts. No aliases nor anonymous comments.