Sunday, January 19, 2014

The State of SSF and Future Sales

What a nice weekend.  I didn't get a chance to pick up mail this week until Saturday morning, and, much to my delight, the most recent edition of the KWPN-NA Newsletter was waiting for me.   Our breeding program has had a lot of success over the last 20 years (knock on wood), but it never gets old to open a magazine and read such positive comments about SSF horses. We are positioned to be breeding better and better horses.  Our mareband is the strongest it has ever been, and, with the maturation of some of our best-bred fillies, we're looking forward to a really exciting next few years of foals.

On top of this, I'm finding more and more satisfaction and personal fulfillment from riding, especially since I'm riding an SSF-bred horse.  Over the next couple of years, I have two more "saved" horses entering the riding regimen.  It's, indeed, a dream come true.  Today, Princess (ZaVita SSF) and I had one of our most relaxed, through sessions we've ever had.  Thanks to Melinda Johnson for being on the ground and slowing down my brain and intensity level.

I'm also working on developing a slightly different business plan for SSF.  My current five-year plan is to continue building our mare base so that we're producing at least a dozen foals per year.  Since our marebase is the strongest it's ever been, I'm also planning on producing a series of stallion prospects in the next five years.  Additionally, I want to increase our sales over the next few years, but I want to  do it in a specific way.  Some of my most rewarding experiences in producing the quality horses we produce is to get them in the hands of really deserving people.  As part of my refocusing of our program, I want our foal to go to talented people who need a little help in acquiring top horses.  Recently, we just made a partial-ownership deal with a super talented young rider to help her and to promote one of our most talented mares.  Repeatedly, we've sold horses on terms so the right horse got with the right owner.  I'd like to make this the norm for our sales.  I want to sell our babies as low as $250/month to people who have a dream of owning and competing a super talented dressage horse.  Currently, we have a UB-40 x Sir Sinclair weanling/yearling available.  He's a super mover and really sweet.  Next year, we'll potentially have four foals available for this option.  The following year, we'll have, perhaps, six or seven foals available.  If you or someone you know wants to raise your own top dressage prospect, I want you to think of our program and what we're willing to do to help you. Our logo is, and always has been, "the place where dreams come true."  As sappy as that may seem, it's the way I want to do business.

Of course, I haven't updated the website in ages, so none of this is reflected anywhere but here; hopefully, since I've taken some significant steps in downshifting my outside committments, over the next few months, I'll get our website reorganized and more reflective of our SSF present and future.


2 comments:

  1. Scott, you are my inspiration for getting back on a horse. I rode in my teens and twenties and life got in the way and I (sadly) left riding behind. Fast forward, I've been following your blog for some time and have always enjoyed your writings in the Warmblood magazine. I decided it was time to add riding back into my life -- I like you, had a serious health situation last year, and made the goal to live life to the fullest and that had riding at the core of what I want to do. So, thank you. Thank you for giving me inspiration. Thank you for sharing your life. And most of all, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the kind words and, more importantly, good for you! If ever you get frustrated or just need some encouragement, don't hesitate to give me a shout. I've just started another blog chronicling my journey to FEI. It's called Project Shadbelly. I haven't figured out what the link is yet, but will get it posted once I have a few more entries.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign all posts. No aliases nor anonymous comments.