Thursday, July 18, 2013

Individual Horses and the Training Process

This last week has been a dream week for me. Princess (ZaVita SSF) and I have made major breakthroughs in our training process. We both seem to have figured out some things simultaneously, and, all of a sudden, I feel as if I'm on an international quality horse. Of course, since I refuse to be video-taped or look at myself in the mirror for more than a couple of quick glances, this feeling is probably colored by my own lack of experience and idealism--nonetheless, a "click" has happened and things are just coming together. Huge thanks to Jane Hannigan for putting up with me and believing in my horse and me. We certainly wouldn't be making the progress we are without Jane's constant input and talent. On the home front, we are fortunate to have Jasper Gaarenstroom with us for a couple months working our young horses and helping prep for the keuring. He and Michaela are in the barn by 7 am every morning working D'Orites SSF, Felicites SSF, Eliscia SSF, and Werites SSF. It's a complete thrill to be able to see five horses we bred working on a daily basis. After my two-year intensive with Princess, my appreciation for the training process and recognizing the strengths and weaknesses of each individual horse has never been so developed. It may be cliche' to say it, but the more you learn the more you know there is to learn. Fun times. I'm grateful for the people and horses in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign all posts. No aliases nor anonymous comments.